Tar Hollow State Forest–Clark Hollow Road
eBird Bar Charts by Season
Tar Hollow State Forest Trails
About Clark Hollow Road
The lower section of Clark Hollow Road is in Vinton County. Please begin a new checklist if you cross the Vinton-Ross county line.
The State Forest Range Station is located on Clark Hollow Road. A section of the Buckeye Trail parallels the road providing opportunity to walk in Clark Hollow.
About Tar Hollow State Forest
Tar Hollow State Forest originated from the Ross-Hocking Land Utilization project of the 1930s. The purpose of the program was to locate families to more productive land, thereby enabling them to better sustain a living. Following termination of the project, the land was leased to the Division of Forestry and finally transferred to the State in 1958. Tar Hollow is Ohio’s third-largest state forest, containing 16,120 acres.
A wealth of recreational activities are available at Tar Hollow State Forest. A 46-site primitive horse camp is located at the south end of the forest on Poe Run Road. Latrines are provided at the camp, but electricity and drinking water are not available. Radiating from the horse camp are 26 miles of bridle trails. All bridle trails are south of the fire tower.
A 22-mile network of hiking trails is located in the northern half of the forest.
Seventeen miles of paved forest roads and 14 miles of gravel forest roads provide a great opportunity for a scenic drive and allow good access to all areas of the forest.
From Tar Hollow State Forest website