Clinton Nature Preserve
eBird Bar Charts by Season
About Clinton Nature Preserve
The Clinton Nature Preserve is a 33-acre preserve located just west of the Sandusky River in Seneca County. There is a 1.25-mile stone walking and bicycling trail which extends to about 1.75 miles when connected to the Schekelhoff trail with several access points to the river. The trail winds through riparian woodland. The parking lot offers a canoe access point. There is fishing access to the river at the Miller fishing hole. A separate trail runs thru the open grassland area and this is a perfect area for enjoying the abundant wildlife and variety of wildflowers. Picnic tables are available at the nature preserve.
The Clinton Nature Preserve and Sandusky River Access is a cooperative effort between the Seneca County Park District, Clinton Township Trustees and the Ohio Department of Natural Resources. The 33 acres of land leased from ODNR is comprised of parcels acquired by gifts from Burt Brickner and Izaak Walton League, as well as a purchase from Jim and Doris Wise.
The principal trail is located on Clinton Township Road 141. Previous to 1941, the road followed the Harrison Trail, which had been earlier developed as the Scioto Trail by Native American tribes. General Harrison moved his army along this trail in 1813 to the battle of Thames. Because of repeated flooding, in 1941 the county commissioners moved the road 60 feet to the west and the Clinton Trail is located on this new right of way.
From Clinton Nature Preserve webpage
No restroom facilities.