South Bass Island–Perry’s Victory and International Peace Memorial
eBird Bar Charts by Season
Perry’s Victory and International Peace Memorial is a stop on the Lake Erie Birding Trail.
About Perry’s Victory and International Peace Memorial
Perry’s Victory and International Peace Memorial was built to commemorate the United States’ naval triumph in the Battle of Lake Erie during the War of 1812 and to celebrate long-lasting peace between Great Britain, Canada and the United States. It is named after Master Commandant Oliver Hazard Perry, who led the American fleet to victory in the battle.
The 352-foot tall monument was constructed between 1912 and 1915 and was added to the national park system in 1936. It is the world’s tallest Doric-style column and is the third tallest U.S. memorial.
An open-air, 317-foot high observation platform provides panoramic views of the islands, Lake Erie and the shores of Ohio, Michigan and Ontario.
The 23.9-acre site is located at Bayview (OH-357) and Toledo avenues in Put-in-Bay and spans an isthmus of South Bass Island. A visitor center includes interpretive displays, a theater and book store. September 10, 2013 marked the bicentennial of the Battle of Lake Erie.
From Lake Erie Public Access Guide
Restrooms on site.