South Bass Island–Lighthouse
eBird Bar Charts by Season
The South Bass Island Lighthouse has been guiding ships since 1897 through Lake Erie’s South Passage (the water route between South Bass and Kelleys islands to the north and Catawba Island and Marblehead Peninsula to the south).
The lighthouse, located at the southern terminus of Langram Road at the southernmost tip of South Bass Island in Put-in-Bay Township, is a Queen Anne-style brick home with two-and-a-half stories of living space, a full basement and an attached 60-foot light tower. In 1967, The Ohio State University assumed care of the home and grounds while the U.S. Coast Guard maintains the light. In 1990, the lighthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
The 3-arce site is open for foot traffic and features a butterfly garden and historic marker. A fence lines the steep bluff, prohibiting access to the water.
From Lake Erie Public Access Guide
No restroom facilities.