Greene County Birding Drive
Ohio Birding Drives are routes for birding trips which can be accomplished in one day, stopping to walk and bird at various eBird hotspots. For each birding drive, a Google map is provided with the route and suggested stops at eBird hotspots. You may save the link to the Google map on your smartphone or tablet, or print a copy on paper to take with you. Links are provided with information about each eBird hotspot. Follow those links for more information about birding each location.
Greene County Birding Drive
Click on the hotspot names below to view the page about that hotspot.
This Birding Drive explores eBird hotspots in Greene County. When you submit checklists here you help to add to the data about birds in this region of Ohio.
Spring Valley Wildlife Area (Greene County)
Spring Valley, Ohio 45370
From Spring Valley, drive south on US-42 for 1.7 miles. Turn left onto Roxana New Burlington Road and drive 1.5 miles. Turn right onto Pence Jones Road and go .2 miles. The parking area for the Spring Valley Wildlife Boardwalk Trail is on the right.
This 842-acre wildlife area is situated in the gently rolling agricultural region of southwest Ohio just east of the Little Miami River, eight miles south of Xenia and four miles north of Waynesville. The area may be reached by turning east off US-42 onto Roxanna-New Burlington Road. The north section of the wildlife area is in Greene County. The southern section is in Warren County.
More than one-third of the area is in cropland and permanent meadow intermixed with brushy fencerows and extensive brushy coverts. Woods cover approximately a third of the area. A 150-acre lake and marsh complex are located on the area’s south edge.
Purchasing of land for this public hunting and fishing area began in 1953. The area includes the old Sinclair Fur Farm lake and marsh which was improved in 1954 to provide the present 80-acre lake. In addition to hunting and fishing, secondary uses such, as gun and archery target shooting and wildlife observation, have become increasingly important.
Cropland is managed to provide good distribution of wildlife food and cover in conjunction with the permanent meadow and woody cover. More than 100,000 trees and shrubs have been planted to provide permanent wildlife cover.
Glen Helen Preserve
Yellow Springs, Ohio 45387
From Spring Valley Wildlife Area, drive north on Pence Jones Road for .2 mile. Turn left onto Roxanna Burlington Road for 1.5 miles. Turn right onto US-42 and drive 6.9 miles. Merge onto US-35 east and drive 4.2 miles. Take the Bickett Road exit and drive 1.6 miles. Turn left onto US-42 south and drive .4 mile. Turn right onto Wilberforce Clifton Road and go 3.8 miles. Turn left onto Grinnell Road and drive 2.9 miles. Turn right onto Corry Street and go .4 mile. Turn right and arrive at Glen Helen Preserve.
Glen Helen, a nature preserve owned by Antioch College, is the legacy of alumnus Hugh Taylor Birch, who, in 1929, donated the wooded glen to Antioch College in memory of his daughter, Helen. With this gift, the College accepted the responsibility of preserving the land in perpetuity. Additional gifts expanded the preserve, which now encompasses 1000 acres, all accessible from a 25-mile network of footpaths. Today, that mission is carried forward by Antioch College through the Glen Helen Ecology Institute, which manages the land and coordinates the educational programs of “The Glen.” On even a short walk, visitors can view spectacular wildflowers, 400-year-old trees, limestone cliffs with waterfalls and overhangs, and the beautiful yellow spring for which the town is named.
The Glen is an integral part of the legacy of the College and will be an important resource for the development of its curriculum. For Antiochians, the identity of the College and Glen Helen are inseparable. For nature enthusiasts, the glen is a valuable resource for hiking, birding, and exploration.
Huffman Prairie Flying Field
Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio 45424
From Glen Helen Preserve, turn right onto Corry Street and go .1 mile. Turn left onto East Limestone Street and drive .7 mile. Make a slight left onto Dayton Street for .4 mile. Continue onto East Dayton Yellow Springs Road and drive 7.5 miles. The road turns left and becomes OH-444 south for .2 mile. Use the middle lane to turn right onto B Road. Continue straight onto Childlaw Road. Turn left onto Spruce Way. Continue onto Skeel Avenue and follow for 1.3 miles. Turn right onto Hebble Creek Road and go .4 mile. Turn right onto Pylon Road and arrive at Huffman Prairie Flying Field.
To bird Huffman Prairie Flying Field, park on Pylon Road and walk the mowed path on the east side of the road. In May and June, there are reliable Bobolinks, Henslow’s and Grasshopper Sparrows, Meadowlarks, and Dickcissels. In July and August Sedge Wrens arrive and are easy to hear. In the winter Short-eared Owls and Northern Harriers use the field. and migrating Rough-legged Hawks have been reported.
On this 84-acre patch of rough pasture outside Dayton, the Wright brothers learned to control and maneuver their powered machine and taught themselves to fly during 1904 and 1905. Designated a National Historic Landmark in 1990. The Flying Field is located on an active military installation and subject to unannounced closure.
4439 Lower Valley Pike
Dayton, Ohio 45424
From Huffman Prairie Flying Field, drive southwest on Pylon Road for .4 mile. Turn left onto Hebble Creek Road and go .4 mile. Turn right onto Skeel Avenue for .4 mile. Turn right onto A Road for .2 mile. Turn right onto OH-444 south and drive 2.6 miles. Make a slight right to merge onto OH-4 north and drive .4 mile. Take the exit toward Lower Valley Pike and go .2 mile. Turn right and arrive at Huffman MetroPark in .3 mile.
Huffman MetroPark is the result of the Miami Conservancy District and Arthur Morgan’s vision and commitment to meet the needs of the population of the Miami Valley. The main purpose was the prevention of another devastating flood like the Great Flood of 1913, but they also saw the need for green space to be preserved for the public to enjoy. The result was five earthen dams built in the early 1920’s, one being Huffman Dam. The land adjacent to the dams was retained by the Miami Conservancy district and in the 1930’s the Civilian Conservation Corps built what is known today as Huffman MetroPark.
In 1967 Five Rivers MetroParks leased Huffman MetroPark from the Miami Conservancy District. Since then MetroParks has been managing the park, and many changes have happened. Huffman MetroPark now is primarily managed for natural diversity, providing the Miami Valley with a variety of outdoor activities.
4178 Conference Road
Bellbrook, Ohio 45305
Turn right onto Lower Valley Pike and go .7 mile. Lower Valley Pike turns left and becomes Union Road. Drive 2.2 miles and turn left onto Valley Street. Go .9 mile and continue onto OH-444. Drive 1.1 miles and t urn right onto Kauffman Road. Go .5 mile and turn right onto National Road. Go 1.3 miles and t urn right onto Glenn Highway. Go .6 mile and use the right lane to merge onto I-675 south. Drive 8.4 miles and take Exit 7 for Wilmington Pike. Go .3 mile and use the left 2 lanes to turn left onto Wilmington Pike. Go 1.3 miles and turn left onto West Franklin Street. Drive .7 mile and turn right onto South Linda Drive. Go .7 mile and turn right onto Portage Path. Go .2 mile and turn right onto Periwinkle Drive. Arrive at Sugarcreek MetroPark in .3 mile.
Three 550-year-old oak trees, a tall grass prairie, woodlands and scenic Sugar Creek beckon visitors. Although much of Sugarcreek’s 618 acres were once farmland, MetroParks land management practices, and natural processes have resulted in a variety of habitats. These support diverse wildlife that can be discovered as you hike, horseback ride or enjoy a leisurely picnic.