Covington, Ohio 45318
Stillwater Prairie Reserve webpage
Stillwater Prairie Reserve brochure and map
Also, see Miami County Birding Drive
|Bar Charts by Season by Month|
Stillwater Prairie Reserve comprises 380-acres in northwestern Miami County in Newberry Township. The park offers two entrances. One located 1.5 miles west of OH-48 on OH-185, another is south of OH-185 on Rangeline Road.
Early settlers John and Elizabeth Hagan, originally from Adams County, Pennsylvania, built a sawmill in 1840 on the site using waterpower from the Stillwater River. In 1846, the old brick home was constructed. The old home can be seen from the trail and is now used as a maintenance area. The accompanying log barn was demolished several years ago. In 1849, Robert Aspinall, from England, purchased the property. The family continued here until 1886, making the Aspinall family the longest occupants of the site since the days of settlement.
Segments of the main trail follow the river over portions of the long-abandoned Hagan Road, built in the 1840’s. Passages through fields, woodland, marshy habitats and shrub lands complete the circle. Diverse topography and vegetation offer excellent outdoor opportunities for the average hiker, birdwatcher, cross-country skier, or photographer. Wetlands have been added to the diversity of habitat at the Reserve with an overlook platform for improved viewing of the wetland species which home there or pass through during migration.
From Stillwater Prairie Reserve webpage
Restrooms at locations identified on Stillwater Prairie Reserve map.