Metzger Marsh–Bono Road Entrance

Metzger Marsh Wildlife Area
12600 Bono Road
Curtice, Ohio 43412
Metzger Marsh Wildlife Area webpage
Metzger Marsh Wildlife Area map

Also, see Metzger Marsh Wildlife Area

eBird Bar Charts by Season

Entire Year

Spring Migration (Mar-May)
Breeding Season (Jun-Jul)
Fall Migration (Aug-Nov)
Winter (Dec – Feb)
eBird Hotspot

Lucas County

Metzger Marsh–Bono Rd. Entrance
Coordinates: 41.6406477, -83.2512563
eBird links: Hotspot mapView detailsRecent visits
My eBird links: Location life listSubmit data

lake-county-map

Tips for birding Bono Road Entrance
Please, use care as there are few places to pull off on this section of Bono Road to view birds. Use flashers if you stop on the roadway. There is a small woodlot with a trail into the marsh opposite the boat ramp. There is room for one or two cars to pull off there. Or you can park at the boat ramp and walk across the road.

Tips for birding Metzger Marsh Wildlife Area
Metzger Marsh is a stop on the Lake Erie Birding Trail.

About Metzger Marsh Wildlife Area
This 558-acre Lake Erie marsh is located 13 miles east of Toledo. Bono Road provides access to the area from OH-2, less than .5 mile east of Bono. Water levels in the marsh are managed to provide optimum vegetation for wetland wildlife. Water depth in the marsh ranges from one to four feet.

Metzger Marsh is a remnant of the 300,000-acre marsh which once bordered most of western Lake Erie from Vermilion, Ohio to Gibraltar, Michigan. The construction of a high retaining dike and an internal pattern of drainage canals in conjunction with a large steam driven, water-life elevator allowed the Metzger Farms to operate throughout the early 1920s as a highly productive truck crop farm. In 1929, waters of Lake Erie broke through the dikes and flooded the area. The dikes were not rebuilt and with the loss of water control, the area reverted rapidly to its original marsh condition and became high-quality duck habitat. For several years, extremely good waterfowling was enjoyed by members of the Metzger Marsh Duck Club. High water levels in the 1940s eroded the remaining beach barriers and by 1952 the marsh resembled a cove off Lake Erie. Presently, about 70 percent of the area consists of open shallow water.

The marsh was purchased by the Division of Wildlife in 1955. Waterfowl hunting, trapping, and fishing in the marsh and Lake Erie are major uses of the area. The outer dike was restored in 1995 to allow for water level management. This work was accomplished through a cooperative effort between the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Ducks Unlimited, local conservation groups, and the Ohio Division of Wildlife.
From Metzger Marsh Wildlife Area webpage

There are portable toilets at the parking lot at the end of Bono Road and at the boat ramp near the Cooley Canal Yacht Club.

The boat ramp on Bono Road and the fishing pier at the end of the road are both handicap accessible.