Indian Point Park–Lower Lot Entrance
Lower Lot: 12951 Seeley Road
Leroy Township, Ohio 44077
Indian Point Park webpage
Indian Point Park map
Western Reserve Land Conservancy Parks and Preserves webpage
eBird Bar Charts by Season
About Indian Point Park
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the National Park Service, Indian Point has one of the earliest architectural works in this part of Ohio.
A tribe from the Whittlesey Culture lived here; a Whittlesey structure was built on the 100-foot ridge between Paine Creek and the Grand River. Two parallel mounds of their earthworks can be seen. The Whittelsey were an early people who lived from 900 AD to 1650 AD in stockade villages on high bluffs overlooking rivers and lakes. Because they had no contact with Europeans, the name of their tribe is unknown. The culture is named after the archaeologist who discovered the tribe.
Charles Lyman bought several acres at the Point in 1901. He had camped here often. In the years before World War I, he used the area as a military camp for high school boys. More than 150 youngsters attended Lyman’s Camp Wissolohican during its seven-year period of existence. Lyman began carving the names of campers into a Totem Stone, which can be seen along the trail near the point. Later, the point became a Finnish camp, Kaleva Lodge. During this time, a stone hut was built and used as a sauna, intact until the 1970s, when the park system dismantled it. The property was purchased from John Phelps in 1964. A plaque was erected here, in honor of James and Edna Phelps, his parents. (In 1802, part of the property had been deeded to his ancestors by the Connecticut Land Company.)
From Indian Point Park webpage
Western Reserve Land Conservancy helped Lake Metroparks add 74 acres of beautiful upland, slope, and floodplain forest habitats to their 494-acre Indian Point Park located along the scenic Grand River. The land has a rich history of usage including as a native American stockade village sometime between 900 AD and 1650 AD, as a Finnish camp in the mid-1800s, and as a military camp for high school boys in the early 1900s. The park is listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the National Park Service for having one of the earliest Native American architectural works in this part of Ohio, including two parallel earthwork mounds built by a tribe from the Whittlesey Culture. The park also provides opportunities for grilling, picnicking, limited biking, canoeing/kayaking, fishing, and hiking. Pit toilets are available at the parking areas.
From Western Reserve Land Conservancy Parks and Preserves webpage
Restrooms at locations identified on Indian Point Park map.