Chapin Forest Reservation–West Section Trails
eBird Bar Charts by Season
Ohio Birding Day Hike
Chapin Forest Reservation Trails
About West Section Trails
The west section trails include the Arbor Lane Loop Trail, the Beech Woods Loop Trail, and the Whispering Pines Trail. This hotspot may also be used for reporting birds seen at the Pine Lodge, the Twin Ponds, and the Twin Ponds Shelter.
Tips for birding Chapin Forest Reservation
Chapin Forest Reservation is a stop on the Lake Erie Birding Trail.
Gildersleeve Mountain, which is partially in Chapin Forest, where a short hike will take you to the indisputably best vista in all of Ohio. On days with good visibility, the panorama includes the skyline of downtown Cleveland, the Chagrin River Valley, and Lake Erie. Old growth, mixed oak, Hemlock hardwood, and Beech Maple forests, plus outcroppings of bedrock create ledges and provide spectacular natural beauty. Plus the old growth forest is filled with woodland birds. Barred Owls are common although reclusive, nesting Dark-eyed Juncos, Hooded Warblers, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Scarlet Tanagers, and Winter Wren. Ruffed Grouse is a possibility here. There are good varieties of migrants, especially during fall migration. 29 Warbler species have been found here during fall migration including Kirtland’s Warbler.
From Haans Petruschke
About the Chapin Forest Reservation
The 390 acres of Chapin Forest Reservation are known for distinctive rock formations and majestic forests. Wander through 5.3 miles of mature woodland trails comprised of beech, maple, oak, tulip, and hemlock. Stop by Quarry Pond and walk Lucky Stone Loop Trail.
To protect this beautiful setting from logging, Frederic H. Chapin purchased the property in 1949 and donated it to the State of Ohio. Under a lease agreement with the Ohio Department of Natural Resources Division of Forestry, Lake Metroparks manages Chapin Forest Reservation.
The ledges, or rocky outcroppings of Sharon conglomerate, were formed about 300 million years ago, long before glaciers slid across northern Ohio. To protect the fragile vegetation and for safety reasons, access to the ledges area is restricted to guided walks, which are regularly offered throughout the year.
Sandstone from Quarry Pond and the adjacent streambed were part of a stone quarry that operated during the 1800s. Berea sandstone from this site supplied the foundations for many local buildings, including the Kirtland Temple, which was completed in 1836.
Chapin Forest has also served as a study site. During the late 1950s, the Ohio Division of Forestry and Reclamation began using Chapin Forest as a research site to determine the growth rates of trees for possible commercial timber production.
From Chapin Forest Reservation webpage
Restrooms at locations identified on Chapin Forest Reservation map.