Stratton, Ohio 43961
New Cumberland Locks and Dam webpage
Also, see Jefferson County Birding Drive
|Bar Charts by Season by Month|
New Cumberland Locks and Dam is located on the right descending bank of the Ohio River, just off OH-7 at the small town of Stratton, Ohio. Across the river and two miles downstream lies New Cumberland, West Virginia, the originally planned site of the lock and dam, and hence its namesake. The tall stacks and white steam of the coal-fired Ohio Edison Sammis Power Plant between Stratton and neighboring Port Homer tower over the project.
New Cumberland navigation project was constructed from 1955 to 1961, with the locks opening for traffic in November 1959. This facility eliminated the original Locks and Dams 7, 8 and 9 which were constructed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers between 1904-1914. The three replaced projects each contained a single lock and the old-style wooden wicket dam.
Montgomery averages about 450 commercial lockages every month, plus another 275 lockages of pleasure craft during the busy summer months.
From New Cumberland Locks and Dam webpage