Hog Creek Marsh
eBird Bar Charts by Season
About Hog Creek Marsh
Comprising 8,000 acres of Brookston-Crosby soils, the marsh is named for Hog Creek which drains it. Once a shallow lake, cranberries, wild flags, and grasses flourished here. Reclamation (1868) cost $13.00 per acre. Dredging was done by steam scow; lateral ditches were hand dug by spade. The original grade of 1/3″ in 100′ proved ineffective for onion, beets, and potatoes. In 1949 restored drainage outlets breathed new life for today’s soybean and corn agriculture.
From Hog Creek Marsh (Historical Marker) webpage
No restroom facilities.