Old Saint Joseph Cemetery
eBird Bar Charts by Season
Tips for birding Old Saint Joseph Cemetery
Merlins have reliably been sighted here and at New Saint Joseph Cemetery
Google Map of Merlin sightings
From an David A. Brinkman
About Old Saint Joseph Cemetery
The Old Saint Joseph’s Cemetery is located at West Eight Street and Enright Avenue in the Price Hill neighborhood of Cincinnati, Ohio. The Cemetery was founded, in 1843 by Rev. John Baptist Purcell, for both English and German-speaking Catholics. The Irish section of Saint Joseph Cemetery had reached its capacity after the cholera outbreak of 1849, the new cemetery was located two miles west. The Germans remained and expanded the West Eight and Enright location.
The first burials were made in January 1843, when a child, Joseph Menke, and an adult, John Herman Dornkamp, were laid to rest. Each of the German RC churches had a section in the old cemetery and many of the older monument’s inscriptions contain only German.
The main gate is located near West Eighth Street and Seton Avenue.