Hambden, Ohio 44024
Whitlam Woods webpage
Whitlam Woods map
|Bar Charts by Season by Month|
Whitlam Woods is a tranquil 187-acre forest, part of which is leased from the Geauga County Board of Commissioners. The park is bisected by deep ravines of two streams that flow into Big Creek. It is Geauga Park District’s intent to protect this natural area in perpetuity.
In 1959, Fred Whitlam sold property in Hunting Valley, specifying that proceeds be used to purchase wooded land in Geauga County. This land was to be held by the Geauga County Board of Commissioners as a “Memorial Forest in commemoration of the memory of Fred Whitlam, his parents, William and Mary Whitlam, and other pioneers of Geauga County and the Western Reserve.”
Years later, an agreement was drawn up with the county commissioners for Geauga Park District to manage the land and operate a 100-acre park, which opened in 1976.
Additional land was purchased by the Park District in subsequent years to further protect wildlife and better provide outdoor enjoyment for the citizens of Geauga County.
From Whitlam Woods webpage
Restrooms on site.