Northeast Yacht Club
14321 Lakeshore Boulevard
Cleveland, Ohio 44110
Northeast Yacht Club webpage
eBird Bar Charts by Season
About Northeast Yacht Club
In 1929 a breakwall was constructed by the American Construction Company to protect Cleveland’s water treatment plant located on the shores of Lake Erie at E.140th St. and Lakeshore Blvd. The newly constructed breakwall provided no access to the lake so in 1938 a young entrepreneur and avid boater donated $10,000.00 to create a passage to Lake Erie and the start of a new era known today as Northeast Yacht Club began.
Originally established in 1938 as White City Yacht Club early members constructed the first of several wooden docks and by 1945 White City Yacht Club had grown to over 100 loyal members. In 1952 a powerful Lake Erie storm destroyed the wooden docks. Membership rallied to design a new harbor layout plan and immediately began construction of new steel catwalks and dockage for more than 150 boats.
A building which served as a storage facility for U.S. military torpedo’s was purchased in 1948 from the United States Navy. The 15′ x 30′ building was relocated by the membership to its current location on club grounds. With a new clubhouse in place, White City Yacht was renamed to Northeast Yacht Club in 1948.
Over the years, numerous clubhouse expansions, modernizations, and renovations attracted rapid membership growth to Northeast Yacht Club as the convenience of immediate access to Lake Erie along with membership affordability and club amenities became widely recognized.
In 2002 Northeast Yacht Club’s new breakwall was constructed. Dramatically improved and standing 11 feet above Lake Erie and 12 feet wide the newly constructed breakwall provides Northeast Yacht Club’s harbor added protection from the potential furies of Lake Erie.
From Northeast Yacht Club webpage