Morgana Bluffs Nature Preserve
5701 Linton Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44105
Morgana Bluffs Nature Preserve webpage
eBird Bar Charts by Season
About Morgana Bluffs Nature Preserve
The 4-acre Morgana Bluffs Nature Preserve is located in Cleveland’s Slavic Village neighborhood. The project features trails, boardwalks, and an amphitheater.
The nature center is located on the former site of Worsted Mill, which operated from 1878 to 1956. The mill was once one of the largest garment manufacturers in the country. The factory sat on the upper property that is now Boys and Girls Clubs of Cleveland’s headquarters, while its powerhouse was located on the project site below.
After the mill closed, the buildings were never fully occupied, though sometimes used as warehouses for smaller firms and other times being vacant. On July 4, 1993 a devastating fire destroyed the complex.
In 2011, the city and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency conducted an environmental assessment and remediation on the lower portion of the site, cleaning up remnants of a junkyard, reviewing fuel tank locations and removing a crumbling smokestack. The remediation also removed several tons of junk tires and filled in the old tunnels that led to the upper mill site.
From Morgana Bluffs Nature Preserve webpage