eBird Bar Charts by Season
About Lowe-Volk Park
The 38 acres that comprise current day Lowe-Volk Park encompass a variety of ecosystems, including wooded riparian corridor, mixed deciduous/coniferous forest, wetland, and old field habitats. The park lies on the southern edge of Leesville, Ohio’s village limits and 2 miles west of Crestline, Ohio. Approximately 2 miles of trails meander through the park. The Park is also handicapped accessible with a floating fishing dock and a boardwalk trail. The Sandusky River starts its 130-mile journey to Sandusky Bay within the park. As the hub of Park District activities, many programs take place, including school field trips and various public programs.
Delaware Indian Chief Wingenund had a camp .5 mile to the northeast of Lowe-Volk Park in the late 1700’s. The most famous historical event to take place in the area was the capture of Colonel William Crawford. Crawford led a force of Pennsylvanian and Kentuckian volunteers to “destroy with fire and sword” the Indian town of (Upper) Sandusky. After fighting the “Battle of Sandusky”, the army retreated. During the retreat, Colonel Crawford became separated from the main body of soldiers. He was captured by Delaware Indians on June 7, 1782, near Leesville. Some historians place the capture site within the boundaries of present-day Lowe-Volk Park, while others place the site just to the east or north of the park. Crawford was then taken to a site near the Delaware Indian village of Tymochtee in what is now Wyandot County and burned at the stake.
The first American settlers arrived in the area in 1817. Reverend Robert Lee, Sr. organized the town of Leesburg, later changed to Leesville, in 1829. The Heckert and Rupp Stone Quarry quarried waverly sandstone in the park area from 1873 to 1908. The main quarry was located just east of the park and was flooded in 1908. The quarry lake became a popular local swimming hole in the 1900’s. Earl John Volk acquired the current park area in 1925. Earl Volk was a butcher who used the area as pasture. Earl’s son, Lloyd Volk, began planting trees on the property in the 1940’s and subsequently planted thousands of trees over the years. The 2/3 acre pond was dug as a borrow pit during construction of the current OH-598 bridge over the Sandusky River. Many thanks to Lloyd Volk for his excellent stewardship of this land over the years, as well his generosity in donating the area to the Park District for the creation of Lowe-Volk Park.
From Lowe-Volk Park webpage
Restrooms on site.
Handicap accessible floating fishing dock and boardwalk trail.