Miami & Erie Canal Trail–Saint Marys
eBird Bar Charts by Season
Tips for birding Miami & Erie Canal Trail Saint Marys
The parking area to access the Miami & Erie Canal Trail in Saint Marys is located on High Street.
About Miami & Erie Canal Trail
The Miami & Erie Canal was built between 1825 and 1845, an engineering marvel stretching from Cincinnati to Toledo. This canal was heavily used until competition from the railroad caused the decline of the canal system. The Miami & Erie Canal was last used commercially in 1929.
Today, the Miami & Erie Canal Trail spans nearly 40 miles from Delphos to Fort Loramie, passing through many quaint western Ohio towns and villages. Numerous locks, spillways and historic buildings remain from the canal era, and much of the local history has been preserved in the many museums located along the corridor. Note that its surface is largely unpaved and varies greatly along the route.
The trail connects three state parks, local parks, community trails and historical sites. Sections of the trail are part of the Buckeye Trail and North Country National Scenic Trail.
From Miami & Erie Canal Trail webpage
Restrooms on site.